Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mamma Needs Some Quiet Time Too!

Last night I was given the best gift my sweet husband could ever give me, some quiet time ALONE!

Ryan has been working like a MANIAC since we moved to Texas. It is not at all unreasonable for him to be in the operating room until midnight a couple times a week. If he makes it home before 9:00pm I get really excited. This was a really hard adjustment for me when we moved here but now I'm used to it. Usually once or twice a week he will go a day or two without seeing Owen at all, but usually we try to stop by the hospital to see him if it looks like the day is going to end this way. Because of this crazy life we lead Owen often stays up late in order to see Ryan. That's just how we roll.

Yesterday started with Owen crawling in my bed at 7:20 (early for me because I went to bed after midnight in order to say "HI" to my husband before I collapsed in bed) and started crying because I wouldn't immediately turn the TV on for him. I knew at that point it was going to be a long day. Owen was a complete hyper chatter box ALL DAY and by 9:00pm when Ryan made it home I was exhausted! So after our initial greetings and getting Ryan something to eat I asked in my sweetest pleading voice, "Babe, can you please be Dad for a little bit and let me go take a bath and read for a while by my self?!?!" He was so sweet and said, "Of course" and after that he wouldn't let Owen even talk to me.

I wish I had a picture to show you what happened next but it would be pretty inappropriate but I did end up in a big bubble bath with a book in one hand and a mug of super yummy mint hot chocolate in the other. Ryan and Owen came in to check on me (aka: give me an update on the Cardinals game, as if I that was of real concern to me while in the bath) and I just giggled with delight.  On the way out Owen said to Ryan "what's she doing?" and Ryan explained, "Sometimes Mamma needs some quiet time too. Let's go." It was a great hour long bath, totally relaxing! It truly was a gift! Thank you Ryan!

2 comments:

Sarah McK said...

You are a good woman to keep him up that late to see his dad!! We often didn't see my dad growing up because of his crazy schedule, so I guess I just figure that I need to keep my sanity with a routine bedtime the way my mom did since I have no control over Logan's life and it will be this way for a long, long time. When he's not home by 8 after a long day it almost kills me just to read Callum his bedtime story! 9 is my limit. You're a good woman. Glad you got a bath!

emilydeardeuff said...

That is awesome!! It sounds so nice right now!!